A crown is a tooth shaped ‘cap’ that tightly fits over a natural tooth in order to repair its shape and size strengthen and appearance. When cemented into place crowns fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum. Providing a crown usually requires 2 visits to the clinic.At the first visit ,the tooth is prepared and an impression is taken ,along with a record of the shade chosen . A temporary crown is then fitted for 2 weeks while the definitive crown is being fabricated by our laboratory technician to exacting specifications. At the second visit ,the temporary crown is removed and the definitive crown is tried in to make sure it looks great! After try -in ,we bond the crown in with a special cement …its that easy and we love to do them!
Why is a dental crown needed?
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking, or to bold together a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth that has been severely worn down
- To reinforce teeth that has very large fillings in then especially teeth that have undergone root canal treatment
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshaped teeth or discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
Crown can be made from metal, porcelain or a combination of both. They look and feel great!